Friday, July 2, 2010

New Beginnings

I have always been fascinated with learning about different cultures and I recently discovered the art of Japanese Bento. Bento boxes have been around for many centuries in Japan. A simple explanation of what a bento box is that they are generally single serving lunches that include rice, meat, and pickled or cooked vegetables. The items in the bento box are transformed into anime characters, flowers, animals and many other beautiful things. While the designs can be very elaborate or very simple in design, the bento box represents the love a Japanese mother has for her family.



It is my intention to post pictures of the bento boxes I create and share them with whoever might be interested. Since I am so new to this, as you can imagine, my bentos are very crude. I expect that they will improve the more bento create. They are also tailored more to the American palate, as I am just starting to explore Japanese cuisine. I also don't have small children anymore, so most of the bentos that I will make are either for me or my husband.

My first two bentos are for the Bento Summer School assignments #1 (above), which was modifying one of your standard recipes for a muffin tin. I created a western omelet, so it is a breakfast/brunch bento. The other assignment I completed is #3 (below) which was to make a bento with colorful food either with food coloring or using the natural color of the food itself. Since July 4th is just a few days away, I created a flag using sushi rice. I know they are not as elaborate as what it out there in 'webland', but you've got to start somewhere. I am still trying to catch up with assignment #2, which is finger foods. I hope you enjoy what I have to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment