Sunday, July 18, 2010

First Tamagoyaki!

I just made my first tamagoyaki!!! Tamagoyaki is a Japanese rolled omelet. It isn't like a regular American/French omelet.  You add sugar, mirin, soy sauce, salt and dashi (optional) to eggs that have been mixed but aren't full of a lot of air.  You actually roll it in the pan, in layers, as you cook it.  Tamago means egg in Japanese. I know it's not the most beautiful tamagoyaki, especially since I used a round frying pan, not a tamagoyaki pan. The tamagoyaki pan is a somewhat small, rectangular pan. Although, sometimes they can be square. It's neat to see the different layers of the tamagoyaki. I think they should probably be a little tighter. Next time. I'm not the most adept with chopsticks either. I must admit, I'm proud of myself. I didn't think it was going to turn out okay but it did. It looks like it would be hard to do, but it is very easy.  I'm sure after some practice they'll be looking much better! The best thing is that they taste great!!

1 comment:

  1. I've been following your flickr account for a long time and I'm just so glad I encountered your blog! I already love it hehe. I'm a super active when it comes to reading blogs so you'll probably see my comments coming by often

    ReplyDelete